In the 12th edition of the CMB Podcast, I speak with worship pastor and songwriter, Daniel Renstrom.
His latest album, Jesus Wants My Heart, is designed to serve families in their worship together. I was really challenged in this area as I heard Daniel’s story behind the record. As a songwriter myself, I can forget that the audience (if I can call them that) in front of me each day is my family. They’re watching me. They’re watching my example.
I model something each day whether I’m realizing it or not.
So… Write a song for your spouse. Write a song for your kids. I’m not saying it has to be about them necessarily, though that would be good too. I’m saying you and I should be thinking of them when we’re writing the song. Write it for them…
Need some inspiration?
Get Daniel’s album at iTunes here.
The Local Church
At the end of the episode, I mention Mark Dever’s book Nine Marks of a Healthy Church. If you listened to session 9 of the podcast, you’ll remember this guy’s name.
Us musical types have a lot we can learn from the non-musical types. (Mark is actually musical though… just as an aside).
You just probably wouldn’t call him an “artist”. He’s a teaching and preaching pastor who has a heart for serving and resourcing the local church.
Why are guys like this crucial to learn from?
Your mission as a musical person of faith is inseparable from the mission of the local church. Don’t think you can separate the two. I understand that this can be subject with a lot of potential land mines, but here’s the big idea:
Us right brain people need to be plugged into the life a community that loves God’s word. Don’t miss this. Get the book here.
Listen to or download the podcast here, and check out the detailed show notes below….[powerpress]
Here are some bullet points of the things mentioned in the podcast, along with links for further information…
- Liberty University (you can study online here)
- Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Dr. Leiderbach (awesome)
- Providence Church in Raleigh
- Nathan Nockels (producer)
- Project based songwriting
- Evernote Songwriting Method (download the document at freemusicgift.com)
- Col 3:16 – Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly
- Lady Antebellum
- Transition to 1st Baptist Church Durham
- Segregation of musicians in the church is more harmful than helpful
- Don’t be a recluse… Your gifts are primarily for others – not yourself.
- A Gospel Primer – grow in your daily understanding of the gospel. So good…
- Family worship and Deut 6:4-9
- Get songs in your kids hearts and minds…
Daniel’s albums and other links:
- Adore and Tremble
- On The Incarnation
- Jesus Wants My Heart (Daniel’s latest release)
- Twitter – @danielrenstrom
Other CMB Links
- Facebook group
- Twitter – @cmbpodcast
- Please rate and leave a review to the podcast at iTunes here.