In the 12th edition of the CMB Podcast, I speak with worship pastor and songwriter, Daniel Renstrom.
His latest album, Jesus Wants My Heart, is designed to serve families in their worship together. I was really challenged in this area as I heard Daniel’s story behind the record. As a songwriter myself, I can forget that the audience (if I can call them that) in front of me each day is my family. They’re watching me. They’re watching my example.
I model something each day whether I’m realizing it or not.
So… Write a song for your spouse. Write a song for your kids. I’m not saying it has to be about them necessarily, though that would be good too. I’m saying you and I should be thinking of them when we’re writing the song. Write it for them…
Need some inspiration?
Get Daniel’s album at iTunes here.
The Local Church
Us musical types have a lot we can learn from the non-musical types. (Mark is actually musical though… just as an aside).
You just probably wouldn’t call him an “artist”. He’s a teaching and preaching pastor who has a heart for serving and resourcing the local church.
Why are guys like this crucial to learn from?
Your mission as a musical person of faith is inseparable from the mission of the local church. Don’t think you can separate the two. I understand that this can be subject with a lot of potential land mines, but here’s the big idea:
Us right brain people need to be plugged into the life a community that loves God’s word. Don’t miss this. Get the book here.
Listen to or download the podcast here, and check out the detailed show notes below….[powerpress]
Here are some bullet points of the things mentioned in the podcast, along with links for further information…
- Liberty University (you can study online here)
- Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Dr. Leiderbach (awesome)
- Providence Church in Raleigh
- Nathan Nockels (producer)
- Project based songwriting
- Evernote Songwriting Method (download the document at freemusicgift.com)
- Col 3:16 – Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly
- Lady Antebellum
- Transition to 1st Baptist Church Durham
- Segregation of musicians in the church is more harmful than helpful
- Don’t be a recluse… Your gifts are primarily for others – not yourself.
- A Gospel Primer – grow in your daily understanding of the gospel. So good…
- Family worship and Deut 6:4-9
- Get songs in your kids hearts and minds…
Daniel’s albums and other links:
- Adore and Tremble
- On The Incarnation
- Jesus Wants My Heart (Daniel’s latest release)
- Twitter – @danielrenstrom
Other CMB Links