In the 23rd episode of the CMB Podcast, I share with you my conversation with dynamic songwriting couple, Bobby and Kristen Gilles.
They both have important roles in the life of Sojourn Community Church in Louisville, KY – Bobby as Communications Director, and Kristen as a worship leader.
Together, they have written songs for the Sojourn Music albums, released an EP called The Whole Big Story, and are currently working on a new full length album to release in the spring of 2014.
You can also find them creating a wealth of practical and inspiring content at mysonginthenight.com, serving songwriters and worship leaders.
Listen to or download the podcast here, and check out the detailed show notes below….[powerpress]
Here are a few of the things we discussed:
- Their story of how they met
- How they work together as husband and wife writing duo
- The marriage of lyrics and music
- Not holding on to your ideas too tightly
- Revising and editing
- Writing in community
- Learning how to receive feedback on your song
- Not putting the songwriting process in a box
- Tragedy, songwriting, and a new album
- The song, “Bless The Lord Who Gives and Takes”
- Learning to worship the Lord in suffering
- Thinking liturgically in worship leading
- Writing from a wide spectrum of human experience, while pointing back to truth
Important Links for Bobby and Kristen
- The Whole Big Story
- Kristen on Facebook
- Bobby on Facebook
- Bobby on Twitter
At the end of the episode, I invited you to share a story where God lead you through a trial or tragedy of some kind, and what you learned from it. It doesn’t have to be long, but I’m sure your testimony, like Bobby and Kristen’s, will encourage those who are going through something similar.
So, feel free to make use of the comments below!